Monday, November 8, 2010

Texas

The photo from this afternoon was sent via my cell when we stopped at a rest area for a picnic lunch.  Flat, flat, flat!!  I saw a tree at one point, and said, look.....a tree DOES grow in Texas!  We are driving across what is called the panhandle, and have stopped tonight at an RV park about 80 miles from the Oklahoma border.  Grassy and flat, and very different from other parks we have been in.  There were cows grazing just across the field as we got here just after sunset.

My "Travel Manager"....or is he the CEO......finally allowed a stop at a grocery store today!  I believe it was only because I could run in there while he gassed up!  Thank you, Mr. Kroger, for making a complex with gas, groceries, and drug store....oh....and WINE!!  Needed some more of that, too!  Our one stop of the day was at Cadillac Ranch near Amarillo.  A row of 10 caddilacs were buried nose down in the ground, their fins pointing in the air.   They are often restored for movies or photos, but unfortunately at this time, are basically graffiti.  And the idiots who contributed to this, left their paint cans lying all over the ground.  You know I would love to come back and paint them!  And pick up all the cans!

2400 miles and one week in, and we have been doing really well.  Our one problem is that I want to stop and see everything, and "the manager" is trying to keep us on schedule.  Now, I am thankful for his skill in doing this, truly!  But I am sure I need to do the trip again!!  We didn't get to see the pueblos, and the Rte 66 stops call to me, and we just don't have the time. Especially for things that are off the route too far.  The only other sights we saw today were ones visible from the road.  A water tower that leaned like the Tower or Pisa...no joke!  (I was driving, so no photo!)  And a 19 story high stainless steel cross that weighs nearly three tons.  These are in the town of Groom, population 587.  We also spotted an entire ghost town along the road...church and all.  I won't even get into the stops we might have made...like Tucumcari, the town that's "two blocks wide, and two miles long", and the town that is the midpoint of the road, and the Buddy Holly and Clovis...........oh yeah....I wasn't going to get into it!  Tomorrow we stop in Clinton, OK, for what is supposed to be the best Rte 66 Museum.  Some of the "museums" turn out to be souvenir shops, but this is supposed to be authentic.  I was very sad this evening to see that we then leave the old road, as it takes off north toward Chicago after Oklahoma.  It has been fun reading about the sights, even if we didn't have time to see all of them on this trip.


I meant to mention that I am enjoying the comments that you leave, and hope you realize that I am responding to them on the blog.  So if you have not already done so, go back to where you left a comment to see mine.  I get your comments emailed to me, so I know you have left one, as I get the email on my phone.  I do enjoy getting them, so thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Bad Day at Black Rock, Carol had to pass some stops. It's a big world out there. If it was you and me, we could go for a year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet!! I was thinking that this morning....need a gal friend to do this trek!!

    ReplyDelete