Friday, November 12, 2010

The Biltmore Estate

This home, the largest private residence in the United States, was built by George Vanderbilt, and opened to the family in 1895, three years before he brought his bride to live there with him.  Now, what he did in 70,000 square feet, on 8000 acres all by himself, I can' t imagine.  In fact, I can't imagine living here at all!  It would cover 4 acres, were it stretched out.  42 bathrooms.  Clem can't find me in our house in Portland!  The couples only daughter, Cornelia, was born here, in a beautiful room.  No photos allowed, I am afraid, so I can't share the inside with you.  Take my word....amazing.  Bowling alley, indoor pool, changing rooms for the guests to use the pool, since heavens, they could not be seen in swim attire in the house!  My book group would have appreciated the library with his collection of 23,000 volumes.  He was said to be the be "the best read man in the country."  

This photo was taken on the back veranda, looking over the Great Smoky Mountains.  They are spectacular.  We drove through them to get to Asheville yesterday , and I just kept marveling at how gorgeous they are.  The gardens were designed by Frederick Law Olmstead.  

We have just by luck arrived here just in time for the Candle Light Christmas celebration to begin at the mansion tonight, so have returned for a break, then will have dinner and  head back.  Our park is only three miles away, so very conveniently located.  

No comments:

Post a Comment