Monday, November 8, 2010

Spectacular Day in Santa Fe

Can't tell you how stunning it was yesterday!  I had to wonder if this is what the weather is always like on a nice day.  Crystal clear , blazingly blue sky, and a quality to the light and air that was surreal.  One has to wonder if that is what brought Georgia Okeefe here to live.  And the many artists who also call this place home.  The city is full of art and galleries.  We won't make it to Taos, but guess that is true of that area as well.  

I was able to put another check on my bucket list yesterday!  We visited the Georgia OKeefe gallery.  Very interesting to see her work for real, and to see many photos of her working in her gallery or walking in the desert and collecting subject matter.  Ansel Adams took many photos of her which were on display.  

We took a bus into  town after a leisurely morning.....nice for a change!  ......as we stayed in a park close to town, and right near a bus stop.  That worked out very well.  No driving or parking required, which was a very good thing.  We were met with the sound of hundreds of motorcycles arriving and gathering.  There were police and an army truck and a few soldiers, and we were not sure what was going on.  It was the annual gathering for the ride for Toys for Tots.  About 600 finally gathered all around the square, with toys strapped to the back of their bikes.  Pretty neat, I must say.  Despite my tough exterior, some of you know I am really a softy at heart, and it chokes me up a bit again as I write about it.  It is a very cool thing that they do, and it was neat to witness it.  

My characters of the day were two guys dressed for all the world like old time lawmen, directing the bikes into the square.  I stopped to chat with them, and they told me they had been doing this for 26 years, but no, they did not own bikes "yet", themselves.  I will post their photo for sure!  

Cindy and David had visited here a while back, and they recommended a restaurant, so after a bit of looking at shops on the square, we made our way there for brunch.  Cafe Pasqual.  Write it down! If you are here, you should definitely go!  Fantastic food, and popular with the locals.....always a good sign.  We had to wait a bit, but it was worth it.  Thank you, David!!

A very old city, Santa Fe is celebrating 400 years.  We visited the Governors Mansion museum, which was an adobe building, and , though reconstructed, they have put in areas of lucite where you can see through to the old construction of 4 ft thick walls.   Loretta Chapel is another landmark, which is best known for the legend about its "miraculous staircase." The chapel, a lovely gothic creation , had been built with no way to access the choir loft. A mysterious carpenter appeared to build the circular staircase in answer to the Sisters Novena, then vanished without pay when it was finished.    Some other lovely churches, and interesting southwest architecture.....I may have to try to paint some when we get to Florida!  

We have spent two nights in one place, which was nice and relaxing, and I think we needed it.  But we are setting off early today, and going to try to make time.  though, I do have one quick stop I want to make in Amarillo..................   

2 comments:

  1. We love Georgia O'Keefe. I know why you stopped. Just did a mapquest and you are 23 hours from Asheville. Not bad but then I'm not driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checked weather in Ashville today....looking pretty good. Keeping our fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete